Research and Consulting Engineer specializing in transportation collision analysis, vehicle crash performance evaluations, and accident reconstruction. Research activities include vehicle safety system evaluations, occupant kinematic analysis relative to accident reconstruction, vehicle crash and performance testing, as well as vehicle components testing including seats, child seats, door latches, fuel systems, restraint systems, airbags, and studies of occupant behavior. These activities include Court appearances as an expert witness as well as deposition testimony.
2011 – present Research Engineer with Collision Research Analysis, Inc.
1981 – 2010 Product Analysis Manager with Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
1979 – 1981 Product Engineering Manager with Volkswagen of America, Inc.
1972 – 1979 Senior Engineer Product Analysis with Volkswagen of America, Inc.
1969 – 1972 Senior Engineer Service Department with Volkswagen of America, Inc.
1968 – 1969 Chief Methodizing Engineer with Guenther Systems, Inc.
1965 - 1967 Research Assistant University of Aachen, Germany
Has conducted and analyzed numerous full scale automobile crash tests, and has evaluated more than two thousand crashed vehicles. Has participated in the analysis, reconstruction, and trial preparation of numerous automobile traffic collisions. Has studied the behavior of children and adults in the automobile environment. Has analyzed the impact of Regulatory Actions concerning automotive safety issues. Is continuing to mentor researchers working on injury mitigation with the Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies (CChIPS) at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).
- Master of Science Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Aachen, Germany 1967
- Bachelor of Science Mechanical Engineering, Technical University of Aachen, Germany 1963
Presentations & Publications
- Presentation: Children in Restraints, Booster Seats for Children: Closing the Gap Between Science and Public Policy in the United States. Washington, D.C. - April 2001
- Invited Presentation: The Abbreviated Injury Scale, Digital Innovation (DI) annual conference, Denver, CO - October 2005
- Invited Presentation: Crash Injury Research Engineering Network, annual conference of the International Research Council on the Biomechanics of Impact - 2003 Graz, Austria
- Invited Presentation: Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies, Manufacturers Briefing Conference, Auburn Hills, MI - December 2006.
- Collision Performance of Automotive Door Systems, D. Blaisdell, G. Stephens, U. Meissner, SAE 940562
- Children in Restraints, U. Meissner, G. Stephens, L. Alfredsson, 38th Annual Proceedings, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, 1994, Lyon, France
- Usage and Effectiveness of Rear-Seat Restraints in Severe Frontal Collisions, C. Y. Warner, U. Meissner, R. Bandstra, J. Padmanaban, Proceedings of the 30th International Symposium of Automotive Technology and Automation, paper # 97SAF063, 1997
- Observations Relating to Rear Seat Belt Performance in Severe Frontal Collision, Padmanaban, J., Warner, C.Y., Meissner, U., Bandstra, R., Proceedings of the 31st International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation, paper # 98SAF058, 1998.
- Seat-Belt Injuries in Medical and Statistical Perspectives, Bandstra, R., Meissner, U., Warner, C.Y., Monaghan, S., Mendelsohn, R., McPherson, D., Proceedings of the 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, paper # 98-S6-W-25, 1998.
- Performance of Rear Seat Belt Restraints, Warner, C. Y., Meissner, U., Bandstra, R., SAE (2003-01-155)
- Booster Seats for Children: Closing the Gap Between Science and Public Policy in the United States. Durbin, D. R., Runge, J., Mackay M., Meissner, U. Wodzin, E., Yoganandan, N., Traffic Injury Prevention, Vol. 4, Issue 1 (pp.5-8), March 2003.
- Letter to the Editor of The Journal of Trauma (Vol. 50, Number 6) Regarding “Severe Head Injury caused by Airbag Deployment”, Holland et al.
- Hurwitz, D. S., Pradhan, A. K., Fisher, D. L., Knodler, M. A., Menon, R., Meissner, U. (2009). Backing collisions: A study of driver’s eye and backing behavior using combined rear view camera and sensor systems. Injury Prevention 2010, 16:79 – 84.
- Recipient of the 1994 Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Best Scientific Paper award for the child safety and behavioral work presented in Lyons, France.
- Recipient of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine “A. J. Mirkin Award 2001”.
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Fellow in 2003.
- Member of Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), 1973 - present
- Member of Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine (AAAM), 1981 - present
- Verein Deutscher Ingenieure (VDI) – Association of German Engineers, 1965 - present
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 1997 - present
- New York Statewide Traffic Accident Reconstruction Society, Inc. (NYSTARS), 1997 - present
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Board of Directors 1998 – 2004
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Executive Committee 2001 – 2005
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, Secretary 2001 – 2003
- Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, President 2004
- Chair of Industrial Advisory Board 2005 – 2007, Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)
- Member Industrial Advisory Board 2005 – 2010, Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies (CHOP)
- Chair: Traffic Collision Types and Associated Injuries, 2005, AAAM
- Society of Automotive Engineers, subcommittee child seating/restraint systems, 2004 - present
- Technical Advisor to Industrial Advisory Board, Center for Child Injury Prevention Studies (CHOP), 2011 – present